By accessing, browsing or using the Site, Users acknowledge that they have read, understand, and agree to the terms and conditions of the Policy. Users agree to the collection, use, and disclosure of User information, including information collected from or about you or the device you use to access the Site (together “Information”) pursuant to the terms of this Policy. If you do not agree to these terms and conditions, please do not access, browse, or use this Site or otherwise provide Information to ASC.
THE INFORMATION ASC COLLECTS
Information You Provide
ASC may collect information when you use the Site or when you otherwise provide information to ASC. ASC may collect the name, phone and fax number, mailing and billing address, email address, log-in credentials (if you create an ASC account), payment card information (which is processed by third parties), and any other information provided by a User who contacts or interacts with ASC or any of ASC’s representatives through the Site, via email or otherwise, such as when a User: (a) submits an application for membership; (b) submits Information to become a volunteer; (c) submits Information at a seminar or other event; (d) registers for an account; (e) purchases a product through the Site; (f) submits Information through our forums; (g) provides Information to ASC outside of the Site; (h) participates in a sweepstakes, contest, or survey; or (i) engages in any other activity through the Site in which Information is provided to ASC.
ASC may also collect information you provide about your professional expertise and experience, including your title, company name, industry, technical specialty, trade and/or organization(s)/associations(s) to which you belong.
Please note that some parts of our site, such as message boards and advertising listings, allow you to post information that may be publicly viewable and can be collected and used by third parties without ASC’s knowledge.
ASC and certain third parties that advertise or provide other services on the Site may automatically collect certain information about the computer or devices (including mobile devices) you use to access the Site when you use the Site or certain Site services, or click on advertisements on the Site, such as the eNews or Building Safety Journal. ASC and its partners and service providers may collect and analyze information This information is collected passively through the use of certain electronic technologies, such as cookies, web beacons, pixels, clear GIFs, and similar technologies, and is further explained below. As described further below, ASC may use third-party analytics providers and technologies, including cookies and similar tools, to assist in collecting this information. As we adopt additional technologies, we may also gather additional information through other methods.
Browser Cookies: We and certain third party advertising partners may use “cookies.” Cookies are small pieces of information that are stored by your browser on your device. These cookies may be used: (a) to improve or enhance your experience using the Site; (b) to deliver content, including advertising, specific to your interests; and (c) for other purposes, such as security and administrative functions. For example, cookies are used to store your preferences for certain types of information so that you do not have to input those preferences every time you use the Site. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, though different browsers may address cookies differently. Your browser may enable you to set your device to accept all cookies, to notify you when a cookie is issued, or to not receive cookies at any time. If you set your browser to not accept cookies, it may result in certain personalized services or other features not being provided to you when you use that device.
Flash Cookies: We and certain ASC advertisers may choose to use Flash cookies in advertisements available on or through the Site. Flash cookies, also called Flash Local Shared Objects, are used by the Adobe Flash Player to store user preferences. Flash cookies operate differently than browser cookies, and cookie management tools available in a web browser may not remove flash cookies. More information concerning flash cookies, including how to remove them from your computer or device is available at here.
Web Beacons, Pixels and Clear GIFs: We and our advertising partners may use web beacons, pixels and clear GIFs. These electronic technologies are transparent image files that, if used, allow us and our advertising partners to track Web site usage information, such as the number of times a given web page has been viewed and whether and when you have opened a HTML email, how many times the email was forwarded and which links in the email were clicked. Unlike cookies, these technologies do not place files on your device. We and our advertising partners use information collected through Web beacons, pixels, and clear GIFs to improve and enhance our Site and measure the effectiveness of these communications with you. These technologies may be used in association with cookies to understand how visitors interact with the Site or advertisements made by our advertising partners.
HOW ASC USES THE INFORMATION
ASC uses the information collected from its Users for the following purposes:
- For the purposes for which you provided it;
- To respond to Users’ questions and/or comments;
- To provide products, services or information to Users;
- To process a User’s purchase;
- To provide a User with details of his or her account status;
- To customize the advertising and content you see on the Site;
- To notify a User about new features of the Site, or products, services, special offers, or other information that we believe will be of interest to a User;
- To perform analytics and research used in marketing, promotion, or similar activities;
- To monitor Site performance and perform analytics and research aimed at improving the accuracy, effectiveness, usability, or popularity of the Site;
- To enforce the legal terms that govern a User’s use of the Site and otherwise establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others;
- To prevent fraud and other prohibited or illegal activities;
- To administer sweepstakes and contests;
- To ensure that ASC complies with applicable laws, procedures, and regulations which apply to use where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others.
LEGAL BASES FOR USE OF YOUR INFORMATION
The legal bases for using your information as set out in this Policy are as follows:
- Where use of your information is necessary to perform our obligations under a contract with you or in order to take steps at your request subject prior to entering into a contract; (for example, to comply with: our website user agreement, which you accept by browsing the websites/registering; and/or our contract to provide our Site to you); or
- Where use of your information is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others (for example, to provide security for our website and applications; operate our business and our Site and its services; make and receive payments; customer service; marketing; analyze and improve our business; comply with legal requirements and defend our legal rights; prevent fraud and to know the customer to whom we are providing the Site and its services).
- Where required by law, and in some other cases, we handle your information on the basis of consent.
HOW ASC SHARES YOUR INFORMATION
How ASC shares information collected in a particular situation will depend on factors including the nature of the information, the purpose and context of the collection, and applicable law. Subject to such factors, we may disclose information that we collect or receive for the purposes described above in the “How ASC Uses Your Information” section and as described below.
- Consent:If ASC has a User’s consent to share any information, it may do so. For example, if a User agrees to have their information posted in the Members Only area of the Site, that User consents to ASC sharing their information with other ASC Members. We may also share a User’s information to provide that User with services or products that the User has requested.
- Agents:ASC may utilize other companies and individuals to perform functions on its behalf, such as marketing new or additional ASC products and services, sending postal and email to Users, transmitting text messages requested by Users, processing credit card payments, fulfilling orders, delivering products and services, and providing customer service. These third parties have access to Information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes.
- Sweepstakes and Contests:When you sign up to participate in a contest or sweepstakes, your information may also be provided to our sweepstakes or contest advertisers, operators, or sponsors and the use of that information may also be governed by those advertisers’, operators’, or sponsors’ privacy policies or practices.
- Advertising and Analytics:As described in the section on Online Analytics and Tailored Advertising, ASC also may provide automatically-collected information to third parties for purposes of delivering targeted advertisements and performing analytics.
- Protection of ASC or Others:ASC may disclose your information to others if we have a good faith belief that we are required or permitted to do so by law or legal process, to respond to claims, to protect the rights, property or safety of ASC or others, or take action regarding illegal activities or suspected fraud.
- Business Transfers:We may share your information in connection with any actual or proposed merger, reorganization, or sale of some or all ASC assets, or a financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our assets or business by another company.
- Third Parties Providing Relevant and Valuable Products and Services:From time to time, ASC may share your information with other organizations that provide relevant and valuable products or services.
ONLINE ANALYTICS AND TAILORED ADVERTISING
We may use third-party web analytics services on our Site, such as those of Google Analytics. These service providers use the sort of technology described in Section 1.2 to help us analyze how users use the Site, including by noting the third-party Web site from which you arrive. The information (including your IP address) collected by the technology will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers, who use the information to evaluate your use of the Site. We also use Google Analytics for certain purposes related to advertising, as described in the following section. To prevent Google Analytics from using your information for analytics, you may install the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on by clicking here.
To opt out of Google Analytics for display advertising or customize Google display network ads, you can visit the Google Ad Settings page. Please note that to the extent advertising technology is integrated into the Site, you may still receive advertisements even if you opt-out of tailored advertising, but those ads will not be tailored based on your online activities over time. We do not control any of the above opt-out links and are not responsible for any choices you make using these mechanisms or the continued availability or accuracy of these mechanisms.
When using a mobile application, you may also receive tailored in-application advertisements. Each operating system, iOS for Apple phones, Android for Android devices and Windows for Microsoft devices, provides its own instructions on how to prevent the delivery of tailored in-application advertisements. You may review the support materials and/or the privacy settings for the respective operating systems in order to opt-out of tailored in-application advertisements. For any other devices and/or operating systems, please visit the privacy settings for the applicable device or contact the applicable platform operator.
CALIFORNIA DO-NOT-TRACK DISCLOSURE REQUIREMENTS
ASC is committed to providing you with meaningful choices about the information collected on our Site for third-party purposes, and that is why we provide above the Network Advertising Initiative’s “Consumer Opt-out” link, Digital Advertising Alliance’s Consumer Opt-Out Link, TRUSTe’s Advertising Choices page, and the Google opt-out link in this Policy. However, we do not recognize or respond to browser-initiated Do Not Track signals, as the Internet industry is currently still working on Do Not Track standards, implementations and solutions.
The information that is discussed in this Policy will be collected, processed, stored, disclosed and disposed of in accordance with applicable U.S. law. Your information will be processed in the U.S. for the purposes described herein. If you are a non-U.S. User, you acknowledge and agree that we may collect and use your information and disclose it to other entities outside your resident jurisdiction, as discussed in “How ICC Shares Your Information” above. Such third parties may be engaged in, among other things, the provision of services to you, the processing of transactions and/or the provision of support services. By providing us with your information, you acknowledge any such transfer, storage or use. In addition, such information may be stored on servers located outside your resident jurisdiction. U.S. law may not provide the degree of protection for information that is available in other countries. By providing us with your Information, you acknowledge that you have read this Policy, understand it, agree to its terms, and agree to the transfer of such Information outside your resident jurisdiction.
If we provide any information about you to third party information processors, we will take appropriate measures to ensure such companies protect your information adequately in accordance with this Policy. These measures include signing Standard Contractual Clauses in accordance with EU and other data protection laws to govern the transfers of such data. For more information about these transfer mechanisms, please contact us as detailed in the “How to Contact ASC” section below.
If applicable, you may make a complaint to the data protection supervisory authority in the country where you reside. Alternatively, you may seek a remedy through local courts if you believe your rights have been breached.
DATA SUBJECT RIGHTS AND YOUR CHOICES
You may change or correct inaccuracies to certain information collected from you by logging into your account on the Site and making changes to your information. Your account information can be accessed through the “My ASC” links on the Site.
You have certain rights with respect to your information as further described in this section.
Your Legal Rights
If you would like further information in relation to your legal rights under applicable law or would like to exercise any of them, please contact us by completing this form below at any time. Your local laws (e.g., in the EU) may permit you to request that we:
- Provide access to and/or a copy of certain information we hold about you;
- Prevent the processing of your information for direct-marketing purposes (including any direct marketing processing based on profiling);
- Update information which is out of date or incorrect;
- Delete certain information which we are holding about you;
- Restrict the way that we process and disclose certain of your information;
- Transfer your information to a third party provider of services;
- Revoke your consent for the processing of your information;
We will consider all requests and provide our response within the time period stated by applicable law. Please note, however, that certain information may be exempt from such requests in some circumstances, which may include if we need to keep processing your information for our legitimate interests or to comply with a legal obligation. We may request you provide us with information necessary to confirm your identity before responding to your request.
Marketing Communications and Sharing
CHOICES FOR USE OR SHARING OF CERTAIN INFORMATION
ASC values your concerns about the privacy of your Information. Therefore, we offer you the opportunity to opt out of use or sharing of certain Information.
Any commercial emails sent by ASC will include an option to unsubscribe from further correspondence. In addition, you can always opt-out of receiving commercial emails from ASC here. Please note that even if you opt-out from receiving commercial emails from ICC, you will continue to receive transactional messages, such as messages confirming a product purchase, messages about an event you registered for, and certain essential ICC membership information.
You may also access your “My ASC” profile to change what profile information is displayed to other ICC Members or to the public. Please note, however, that the visibility of some profile information, such as your name and location, cannot be changed through “My ASC.”
ASC is not responsible for the privacy practices of third parties who may send you correspondence. Please review the privacy policies of those third parties and contact them directly if you have any questions or concerns.
LINKED INTERNET WEB SITES
The Site provides hyperlinks, which are highlighted words or pictures within a hypertext document, including advertisements that, when clicked, take you to another place within the document, to another document altogether, or to other Web sites not controlled by ASC. These hyperlinked Web sites may contain privacy provisions that are different from those provided herein. ASC is not responsible for the content or collection, use, or disclosure of information collected through these Web sites, and ASC expressly disclaims any and all liabilities related to such collection, use, or disclosure. We urge you to read the privacy and security policies of these third-parties.
CHILDREN’S PRIVACY PROTECTION
The Site is intended for general audiences and not for children under the age of 13. The Site is not directed towards children under 13 years of age, and ASC does not knowingly collect any information from children under 13 years of age through the Site. If you are under 13 years of age, you are not permitted to submit information to ASC through the Site. If a child under 13 submits “personal information” (as defined by the United States Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act) through any part of Site without valid parental consent, and we become aware that the person submitting the information is a child, we will attempt to delete this information. We do not knowingly process data of EU residents under the age of 16 without parental consent. If we become aware that we have collected data from an EU resident under the age of 16 without parental consent, we will take reasonable steps to delete it as soon as possible. We also comply with other age restrictions and requirements in accordance with applicable local laws.
RETENTION OF YOUR INFORMATION
We keep your information for no longer than necessary for the purposes for which it is processed. The length of time for which we retain information depends on the purposes for which we collected and use it and/or as required to comply with applicable laws. To dispose of personal data, we may anonymize it, delete it or take other appropriate steps. Data may persist in copies made for backup and business continuity purposes for additional time.
ASC implements measures to protect information that it maintains. These measures vary on the sensitivity of the information that ASC collects and stores. However, no method of transmission over the internet or means of electronic or physical storage can be completely secure. Therefore, ASC makes no representations or warranties with regard to the sufficiency of its security measures, and any information transmitted to or through the Site is at your own risk.
ASC will notify you in accordance with applicable law in the event of a breach of the confidentiality or security of your information. We may notify you under such circumstances using the e-mail address(es) we have on record for you. You should also take care with how you handle and disclose your information. Please refer to the Federal Trade Commission’s Web site for information about how to protect yourself against identity theft.
CODES AND STANDARDS DISCUSSION FORUM AND EMAIL DISCUSSION LISTS
Certain services provided on the Site, such as the Codes and Standards Discussion Forum and eMail Discussion Lists, are provided by third parties for ASC and its Users. Use of these services is subject to the specific terms and conditions and privacy policies that are provided to a User when signing up these services. Users acknowledge that the collection, use and disclosure of their Information is subject to these policies when using the Codes and Standards Discussion Forum and eMail Discussion Lists.
We may occasionally update this Policy, as noted by the “effective date” at the end of the Policy. We encourage you to periodically review this Policy to stay informed about our collection, use, and disclosure of Information. Your continued use of the Site constitutes your agreement to this Policy and any updates.
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
California law permits customers of the ASC who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, you may do so here or write us:
American Standardization Council Headquarters
16192 Coastal Highway, Lewes, Delaware 19958, County of Sussex.
We will provide a list of the categories of personal information disclosed to third parties for third-party direct marketing purposes, along with the names and addresses of these third parties. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year. We reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the email or postal address specified above. You should put “California Privacy Rights” in the subject line and in your request. You must provide ASC with specific information regarding yourself so that ICC can accurately respond to the request.
HOW TO CONTACT ASC
If you have any questions about this Policy, you may reach us here.
This Policy was last updated on May 25, 2018.